M.Phil. candidates in Basic Dental Sciences will have to be full time research students for a minimum period of two and a half academic years. The award of degree shall be based on both, course work and thesis. The course work is covered in three semesters and last three semesters for research and advanced techniques. The programme is recognized by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) and Higher Education Commission (HEC) and follows regulations for registration to research studies leading to the degree of M.Phil. in the following subjects:
- Oral Biology
- Oral Pathology
M.Phil programme of Ziauddin University has been devised with a view to produce self-motivated individuals who wish to further their careers by gaining a higher qualification.
Learning and Teaching Strategies
At Ziauddin University, candidates are given an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of Educational Methodology while participating in conducting an undergraduate programme. This is achieved by means of regular meetings and workshops held by the Department of Education. In addition to this, candidates are encouraged to gain on job experience by giving lectures, taking part in problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, practical and tutorials. Following are the teaching strategies used to improve student learning:
- Seminars, demonstrations and presentations
- Case discussions
- Rotations in Clinical laboratories for relevant training
- Update of knowledge through study of recent journals and internet browsing. Journal clubs and group discussion
- Candidates must possess BDS degree from an HEC recognized university.
- NTS / GAT / M.Phil. entry test
- Interviews of candidates short listed on the basis of performance in the M.Phil entry test.
Final selection of candidates will be based on the previous academic record and experience, entry test and an interview.